There is No Gene for Fate

Exploring the Ethical Dilemmas of Genetic Engineering

Environment and Social Determinants: Shaping Identity

Discrimination, Social Stratification, and Resistance

What Can We Do?

References:

FDA. (2023, April). Science and history of gmos and other food modification processes. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/food/agricultural-biotechnology/science-and-history-gmos-and-other-food-modification-processes
https://www.fda.gov/food/agricultural-biotechnology/science-and-history-gmos-and-other-food-modification-processes

Murray K, Stahl S, Ashton-Rickardt PG. Genetic engineering applied to the development of vaccines. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1989 Aug 31;324(1224):461-76. doi: 10.1098/rstb.1989.0060. PMID: 2573084.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2573084/

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

7 responses to “There is No Gene for Fate”

1. Ana Ada Avatar
    Ana Ada

Nice write up. Yes, it appears that being genetically modified by scientists to change certain illness or disease can be unethical as in the case of Vincent. Below is a paragraph from WHO:
    “Human genome editing has the potential to advance our ability to treat and cure disease, but the full impact will only be realized if we deploy it for the benefit of all people, instead of fueling more health inequity between and within countries,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General.
    https://www.who.int/news/item/12-07-2021-who-issues-new-recommendations-on-human-genome-editing-for-the-advancement-of-public-health
    I guess what I’m trying to imply is that, if it will help the person be better, then there should be no negative assumptions, criticism or discrimination.

1. Charles Stark Avatar
      Charles Stark

Ada, thank you for reading my blog and adding a different perspective to the potential of genetic engineering!

2. Olanda Thompson Avatar
    Olanda Thompson

Hello Charles,

I enjoyed this post! I personally believe that if Genetic Engineering can save life’s I’m all for it. Now taking in consideration different income bracket’s, race and gender I believe as mentioned it would have to be available to all. More money than one person shouldn’t allow one to live longer than another, that seems a bit inhumane but shoot I guess that happens all the time because magic Johnson has out lived everybody with HIV but maybe he’s didn’t progress to aids and others did but again that goes back to having the money to fight for your life. All in all if it’s safe and everybody has access to it I’m fine with it.

1. Charles Stark Avatar
      Charles Stark

Hey Niko! Equal and equitable access are definitely going to be important moving forward, especially considering like you said that income, race, and gender differences impact access to care now. Magic Johnson is a really good example of that kind of inequity, because he contracted HIV at a time where treatments were not as widely available and accessible as they are today and his status and money were an advantage.

3. Sierra Casteel Avatar
    Sierra Casteel

I love the idea of it helping save lives. I think everything needs to be available to everyone no matter who they are. That is not fair if it is only available to certain people. That is like the healthcare system now. People get better treatment because they have money. I know I am thankful for my insurance through my job but if I had to get my own insurance then I would never have insurance because it is too expensive.

1. Charles Stark Avatar
      Charles Stark

Exactly! Accessibility is going to be a huge issue, and the way our healthcare system is currently set up, only people who can afford it can benefit from it. I think the potential to save lives is great, but because of the inequities in care now, its hard to see that potential being available for everyone.

4. Gerald Barker Avatar
    Gerald Barker

When first married, (24 years ago now) the world of genetics still believed in “junk DNA”, which of course is now understood that there is no such thing, even if it’s purpose isn’t fully understood. The general concept of genetic manipulation was more pipe dream than reality, unless you were hoping on create a glow-in-the-dark rabbit or a cloned sheep. A few years later, we are expecting out first child and the question of genetic screening came up. Do we want to test for Down Syndrome, Tray-Sachs, or the host of other chromosome and genetic issues? We decided, we would keep the child no matter what outcome we found out, therefore, there was no reason to test.
    Fast forward. My daughter has an chronic auto-immune disease that requires Humira injections every week at what used to be $8600 each. The price has fallen to around $7200, which the company advertises as though they are proud of such a philanthropic venture, but to me feels like a slap in the face. We still couldn’t afford even one if we both didn’t work for the IHS and have the best insurance money can provide.
    This genetic deficit unfortunately does and will continue to sway, if not right out dictate my daughters destiny. While her love is art and graphic design, she is more than aware that she needs to be highly educated and well placed in the health care world – as they more than often have “in-house” rates, and better insurance then most companies can bargain for. In fact she has a little more than seven years, and she will no linger be eligible to be under our insurance. Tick Tock honey, tick tock.
    What would we do as parents to give our children a normal life span, or an even longer life span. My wife and I disagree to what lengths we should go to make this happen. Regardless, I can easily see ethical issues that could arise with genetic manipulation, though I expect I might do it anyway if given the chance.
    I personally thought the movie was thought provoking. Perhaps a little boring, but thought provoking.