Breaking Barriers: Creating Inclusive Environments for Persons with Disabilities

In this blog post I will break down key concepts that I noticed and considerations related to the Accessible Environments for Persons with Disabilities portion of the textbook.  I will be highlighting the importance of addressing societal barriers and promoting equal opportunities for individuals of all abilities.

Understanding Disability as a Social Construct

Legislation and Advocacy

The chapter also discusses landmark legislation such as the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which have significantly shaped the landscape of disability rights and accessibility. These laws, highlighted in our textbook, not only provide legal protections against discrimination but also mandate reasonable accommodations and accessibility standards in various domains. They represent the culmination of advocacy efforts by disability rights activists and organizations striving for equal opportunities and full participation for individuals with disabilities in society.

Here is so photos I found that can help understand the acts:

Universal Design

Environmental Considerations

Practical design elements discussed in the textbook, such as accessible parking spaces, ramps, and inclusive signage, are essential for creating environments that accommodate individuals with disabilities. By removing physical barriers and enhancing navigability, these design features contribute to a more inclusive and welcoming built environment. Additionally, the chapter emphasizes the importance of considering the needs of individuals with sensory impairments, such as providing auditory signals and tactile indicators for wayfinding.

Changing Needs and Technology

In conclusion, the exploration of accessible environments for persons with disabilities, as outlined in our textbook, helps us understand the impact of societal attitudes and environmental factors on the experiences of individuals with disabilities. By adopting a social model of disability, we acknowledge that disability is not merely a medical condition but a result of systemic barriers and exclusionary practices. 

Mental and Learning Disabilities

In my discussion of accessibility, it’s crucial to recognize that the concept goes beyond physical accommodations. We must also consider the needs of individuals with mental and learning disabilities. This includes those who may struggle with decision-making due to various factors such as trauma, neurodivergence, or cognitive impairments.

Drawing from my experience working at a company called ResCare, I’ve had the opportunity of directly assisting clients who face challenges related to mental and learning disabilities on a daily basis. At Res Care, we understand the importance of addressing the unique needs of each individual we serve, especially when it comes to accessibility.

In my role as a DSP, I work closely with clients who struggle with decision-making due to various factors such as Cerebral Palsy , IDD, or cognitive impairments. Whether it’s assisting them in navigating their living environment, providing support during outings, or helping them develop strategies to overcome barriers, my goal is always to empower clients to live their lives to the fullest.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

3 responses to “Breaking Barriers: Creating Inclusive Environments for Persons with Disabilities”

1. Charles Stark Avatar
    Charles Stark

Rodric, great job breaking down the section about accessibility for disabled people. This kind of stuff gets me excited. One of the things I didn’t see much in the book or your blog that I think is important was discussion around mental and learning disabilities. I’m personally interested in potential changes to the built environment that can help people who struggle with decision making. Many people who have experienced extreme or prolonged trauma, who have been emotionally abused, who are on the neurodivergent spectrum, and who have mental impairments or cognitive diseases struggle to make decisions quickly-if at all. This can become a real safety issue when it comes to needing to evacuate an area, but it can also take a lot of time and energy that could be spent doing something more enjoyable or more urgent than deciding between something as “simple” as continuing down the hall in hopes there’s a bathroom and turning around to go to the one you know you saw back there. These kinds of considerations can be more complex than how wide to make an elevator door, but they’re also really important to think about.

1. Rodric Laxina Avatar
      Rodric Laxina

Thank you for your comment Charles, I actually have a passion for this type of issue as well. I work in a company called Res Care and we care for people with disabilities. I think it is also important for me to address those issues on mental and learning disabilities. I will see if I can add what I know at the end of this blog post on mental and learning disabilities for people with disabilities. thank you for your input.

2. Lillian Carstens Avatar
    Lillian Carstens

Hey Rodric, this was such an interesting and insightful blog, I really enjoyed it! I really like all of the videos you put in and I thought they added some good perspectives of people who go through life with different disabilities. The first was so interesting when she talked about how handicap versions of things in our world are actually used more than we would think and some of her ideas to make a better world for people with disabilities were super good and intriguing. I haven’t had anyone in my family have a disability so it is hard for me to understand how hard life must be for so many people but I think this weeks chapter and your blog really opened my eyes to the world being more inclusive and I am hoping I can try to apply it to my own life when the time comes. Overall a really great blog, thanks!