“The Spiritual Rollercoaster: The Ups, Downs, and the Real”

What’s up, class? Welcome to Mr. Shelton’s virtual blog classroom. Today, we will “dive” or look or contemplate or as we would say in my Detroit home, “We gonna analyze the sit-che-ation” into a super exciting topic from our textbooks: Theories of Spiritual Development. The relevant discussion in our textbooks is on pages 171 to 175. Religion vs spirituality – that’s one topic that gets me all worked up! My brownies get burnt, pop tarts turn into ice blocks, and I’m about to kick the bucket. But hold up, we’re not talking about that today! Let’s look at how these things sneak into our lives and shake things up. Brace yourself because we’re about to go on a crazy ride!

In this session, we’ll discuss different theories excellent scholars propose on how people develop spiritually. These theories give us some sick insights into spiritual growth’s psychological, moral, and existential dimensions.

I will need you all to remember three names. If you reply, could you make sure you talk about them? We’ll explore the works of famous theorists like James Fowler, Lawrence Kohlberg, Erik Erikson, and more. Each of these guys has proposed unique ways of understanding how people go through their spiritual journeys from when they were babies until they’re adults. They talk about the different obstacles and achievements that come up along the way.

So, let’s get ready for an awesome discussion as we discuss the nitty-gritty of spiritual development and how it affects our lives. Remember to speak your mind and use your real voice because this lesson is all about spirituality, and that’s the real you.

James Fowler’s Stages of Faith Development

Today, we will explore James Fowler’s Stages of Faith Development. This theory provides a structured framework for understanding how an individual’s faith evolves from childhood to adulthood. Fowler suggests that faith development is a lifelong journey marked by changes in how we perceive spirituality and our beliefs about the divine. Each stage represents a significant milestone, shifting our cognitive, emotional, and social understanding of faith.

The six stages of faith development are:

1. Intuitive-Projective Faith (Ages 3-7)

2. Mythic-Literal Faith (Ages 7-12)

3. Synthetic-Conventional Faith (Adolescence to Early Adulthood)

4. Individuative-Reflective Faith (Young to Middle Adulthood)

5. Conjunctive Faith (Middle to Late Adulthood)

6. Universalizing Faith (Rarely Achieved)

Each stage represents a different approach to faith; individuals navigate through these stages throughout their lives. Children begin to understand faith through imaginative and sensory experiences heavily influenced by cultural and familial teachings, starting with the Intuitive-Projective Faith stage. In the Mythic-Literal Faith stage, children interpret religious teachings more literally, often conforming to societal norms and religious rituals without questioning them critically.

Synthetic-conventional faith sees individuals synthesizing various religious perspectives and experiences to establish their identity within religious communities. In the Individuative-Reflective Faith stage, individuals question previously held beliefs, seek more profound meaning, and embrace personal conviction and freedom in faith. As we transition to the Conjunctive Faith stage, individuals reconcile complexities in faith, developing empathy and recognizing universal truths in diverse spiritual traditions. Finally, the Universalizing Faith stage represents the pinnacle of spiritual maturity, characterized by a profound sense of interconnectedness and service to humanity.

Now, let’s reflect on our faith development journeys. Have you ever thought about which stage you might be in currently? How do you believe your faith or beliefs have evolved? Feel free to share your thoughts. For instance, I’ve transitioned from a religious identity to a more spiritual perspective, focusing on being present and doing right by what’s happening today.

Lawrence Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development

Let’s examine Lawrence Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development. This theory helps us understand how moral reasoning develops from childhood to adulthood. It’s also closely related to our ethical beliefs, which can influence our spiritual perspectives.

Kohlberg’s theory has six different stages. In stage 1, Obedience and Punishment Orientation, individuals follow moral rules to avoid punishment from authority figures. Can you think of an example from your life where you followed regulations to avoid getting in trouble?

In stage 2, Instrumental Relativist Orientation, people recognize the value of moral rules in serving their interests. Can you think of a time when you prioritized your needs over moral considerations?

In stage 3, Good Interpersonal Relationships, people prioritize maintaining positive relationships and meeting social expectations. Can you share a time when you made a decision based on keeping harmony in your relationships?

In stage 4, Maintaining Social Order, individuals emphasize the importance of societal norms and institutions. Can you imagine a situation where you followed rules or laws to preserve social stability?

In stage 5, Social Contract and Individual Rights, individuals evaluate societal norms and advocate for individual rights and justice. Can you share an example where you challenged unjust laws or advocated for social reforms?

Finally, in stage 6, Universal Principles, individuals follow ethical principles grounded in justice and human dignity. Can you think of a situation where you acted based on your conscience and values, even when faced opposition?

Let’s discuss how moral and ethical beliefs can influence spiritual beliefs. Can you think of examples from your life where moral reasoning intersects with spiritual growth? I’ll share one example — the influence of American Christianity, which has historical roots in slavery. How about you?

Erik Erikson’s Psychosocial Stages

We will discuss Erik Erikson’s Psychosocial Stages theory, which outlines the different developmental challenges people face throughout their lives, including their spiritual growth. Erikson’s theory is mainly focused on resolving psychosocial conflicts, but it also intersects with spiritual development, particularly during stages associated with identity formation, purpose, and existential exploration.

Erikson identifies eight distinct stages of psychosocial development. 

During the first stage of human development, called Trust vs. Mistrust, babies gradually learn to trust and feel secure in the world around them through their interactions with their caregivers. Babies rely on their caregivers for their basic needs and develop a sense of predictability in their environment. This stage is essential for establishing a healthy and positive relationship between the baby and their caregivers and sets the foundation for future phases of development. Can anyone share an example of how trust is cultivated during infancy?

During the Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubt stage, which typically occurs between 18 months and three years old, toddlers develop a sense of independence. This critical stage is where children explore their surroundings and assert their will. They may want to do things independently, such as feeding themselves or picking out their clothes. However, at the same time, they may also experience feelings of shame and doubt if they are not successful in their attempts to be independent. Parents and caregivers must provide support and encouragement during this stage to help toddlers develop a sense of autonomy while feeling secure and confident in themselves. Can anyone imagine a situation where a child might experience shame or doubt instead of independence?

During the Initiative vs. Guilt stage, which occurs in early childhood, typically between three and six years old, children are eager to explore and engage with their environment. Children begin to assert their independence and develop their sense of self at this stage. They are curious about the world around them and eager to try new things. Children may engage in imaginative play, ask questions, and take on challenges to test their abilities. However, this stage can also lead to guilt or shame if children feel that their actions have not met the expectations of others. During this stage, parents and caregivers can help guide children in a positive direction, encouraging exploration while also providing support and guidance to help children develop a healthy sense of self-esteem and autonomy. Can anyone share an example of an activity that promotes initiative in preschoolers?

During the Industry vs. Inferiority stage, which typically takes place between the ages of six and twelve, children begin to develop a sense of competence and mastery over the tasks and skills they encounter daily. At this stage, children are often exposed to various new challenges, such as academic and social expectations, that can foster their sense of industry and confidence or lead to feelings of inferiority and inadequacy. This stage is critical for children’s development as they begin to form a sense of identity and self-worth based on their growing abilities and successes. Can anyone imagine a situation where a child might feel inferior instead of competent?

During adolescence, individuals go through a stage known as the Identity vs. Role Confusion stage. As the name suggests, this stage revolves around the conflict between establishing a clear sense of self-identity and the confusion that arises when trying to conform to societal roles and expectations. It is a time when young people start questioning who they are and who they want to be, often leading to experimentation with different identities and values. This stage is critical in developing a person’s identity and lays the foundation for the subsequent stages of life. Can anyone share a personal experience where they grappled with questions of identity during adolescence?

During the Intimacy vs. Isolation stage, which is a developmental stage that typically occurs during early adulthood, individuals seek to establish meaningful connections and relationships with others. This can involve forming close friendships and romantic partnerships and identifying with a larger community. At this stage, young adults may explore their identities and seek to connect with others who share similar interests, values, and life goals. However, they may also struggle with feelings of loneliness or isolation if they are not able to develop these connections. Overall, the Intimacy vs. Isolation stage is an essential period in which individuals learn to balance their need for independence with their desire for social connection and intimacy. Can anyone think of an example where fear of rejection affects one’s ability to form intimate connections?

During the Generativity vs. Stagnation stage, which typically occurs in middle adulthood, individuals tend to shift their focus toward contributing to society and positively impacting future generations. This stage is characterized by a desire to nurture and guide younger individuals, whether it be through raising children, mentoring others, or engaging in volunteer work. At the same time, individuals in this stage may also experience stagnation or dissatisfaction if they feel they have not made meaningful contributions to society. Overall, the Generativity vs. Stagnation stage is an essential period of personal growth and development as individuals seek to find purpose and meaning beyond their personal goals and achievements. Can anyone share how they’ve contributed to their community or future generations?

The Ego Integrity vs. Despair stage is one of the eight stages of psychosocial development proposed by renowned psychologist Erik Erikson. This stage typically occurs during late adulthood, when individuals start to reflect on their life journey and assess their existence’s overall meaning and purpose. At this stage, older adults experience a sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, and fulfillment if they have led a purposeful life and have achieved their goals. They feel a sense of integrity and are at peace with themselves and the world. On the other hand, if they think they have not lived up to their aspirations, they may experience despair, regret, and hopelessness. This can lead to feelings of bitterness, depression, and a sense of failure. It is, therefore, crucial for individuals to attain a sense of integrity and resolve any outstanding issues before they reach this stage to experience a fulfilling and satisfying life in their later years. Can anyone share a situation where someone might experience despair instead of integrity?

Which of Erikson’s stages is most related to spiritual development? Generativity vs. Stagnation and Ego Integrity vs. Despair deal with our deeper reflections on life and spirituality as we grow older. 

What do you think about resolving the existential questions? Do you agree that it helps to achieve a sense of meaning and integrity in life? By answering these questions, we can understand the complexity of life and appreciate its nuances and details, leading to a more profound sense of meaning and integrity. How about you?

Reflection and Analysis:

Let’s now check out the reflection and analysis part. We’ll examine theories of spiritual growth and discuss how they relate to real-life situations and viewpoints. This will help us better understand the subject matter we’ve learned.

We’ll start with personal reflection. Take a moment to think about your spiritual journey. Have moments of doubt, faith, or significant life events influenced your beliefs and practices? Share any insights or reflections you may have with the class.

Next, we’ll consider how our experiences align with the developmental stages outlined by Fowler, Kohlberg, and Erikson. Can you identify moments in your life related to concepts like trust-building, moral decision-making, or identity formation discussed in these theories?

Let’s move on to analyzing things critically. We have to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each theory. Do these frameworks apply to your own experiences? Does evidence back them, and do they work with different cultural backgrounds? Share your thoughts on the pros and cons of these theories with the rest of the class.

Finally, consider how these spiritual development theories relate to your experiences and beliefs. Do they accurately capture the complexity of spiritual growth, or do you find them limited in certain aspects? Share your perspectives with the class.

By reflecting on our spiritual journeys, critically analyzing the theories presented, and actively engaging with the material, we can deepen our understanding of spiritual development and its implications for understanding human behavior. So that means working together helps us learn MORE!!

Integration of Outside Sources:

Let’s discuss using external resources to enhance our conversation on spiritual growth. By incorporating ideas from various individuals and research studies, we can gain a better understanding and a broader perspective. Additionally, we will explore how scientific studies can aid us in comprehending spiritual development and how referencing external sources can provide us with a more in-depth insight into theories about spiritual growth.

We should use established theories and peer-reviewed literature to make our discussion on spiritual development more believable. Also, if we mix different viewpoints of scholars or research studies, we might better understand the subject. Using external sources can take our conversation to the next level and help us become more knowledgeable about spiritual development. So, let’s stay open-minded and keep going!

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

2 responses to ““The Spiritual Rollercoaster: The Ups, Downs, and the Real””

1. Sierra Casteel Avatar
    Sierra Casteel

So, the first thing that drew me to your blog was the title. I loved your title. I could not take my eyes off the screen. The videos you posted with the blog enriched the information that you gave us. The stage in our late adulthood is amazing but what if we can use it through out the whole span of our lives? Could we start influencing people earlier and help more people? That is some of the questions that I started having because of your blog. That is awesome!

2. Adrianna Freeman Avatar
    Adrianna Freeman

First and foremost I just want to start by telling you that I appreciate how personable this blog is! I feel like your personality shines through.

You asked us to reflect on what stage we are in on our faith development journey. I have never thought about or even heard of Fowlers stages of faith before today. It’s crazy because I’m in my mid 20’s and I a thousand percent am in the stage of individuative-reflective faith stage leaning into conjunctive. I didn’t grow up in a religious household by any means, most members of my family do not believe in God. I ended up leaning towards Christianity when I was about 12. Throughout the years I have researched various religions and have shifted to identifying with spirituality.

I’m seriously in awe of this blog post. I learned a lot. The resources were great, and you provided though-provoking prompts.