Photo Story: A Visual Journey through Time, Space, and Place

Mackinac Bridge — From Mackinac in the lower peninsula of MI to the upper peninsula (U.P.) at night
Kitchitikipi, MI
My brother and I c. 1998, Deltona, FL

The first place that I wanted to share about is Florida, more specifically, Deltona. I used to live in Deltona with my grandparents and my family. We moved down there originally to be closer to my Grandpa because of the health issues that he was experiencing at the time. I didn’t have a lot of friends there, and I didn’t like the warmth or the bugs there either, but my time living there taught me a lot about myself. I think that this experience helped me to begin to understand the resiliency that I possessed, as I had struggled to make friends initially and struggled to form new friends until about the fifth grade. Towards the end of my stay in Florida, there was a large confrontation that occurred in my family, which prompted us to move back to Michigan. While this confrontation encouraged us to move back to Michigan, it didn’t deter us from visiting with my grandparents in the future.

Me and my brother, New Smyrna Beach, FL

Moving on from my experiences in Florida, my next segment will be not only about a location, but about a person that I associate with this location. My next location is my Great-Grandma Theolaine’s home.

This photo is of my Great-Grandma Theolaine’s home, which was taken around 2008-2010; it is harder to remember the exact year. My family and I had gone to her house then to gain a perspective of where my family’s roots are. It was about getting a sense of connection to this place and understanding my family’s history with it.

My Great-Grandma Theolaine was a large influence in my life, despite her being more of a “background character”. She was always present at events, but she was always a bit more reserved following the death of her husband Elmer. While she was reserved, she was someone that I had a lot of respect for. She had come from nothing, built a family, and was able to support herself. She was my first example of a matriarch.

Great Grandma Theolaine (restored photo)

From what my family had told me, before the death of her husband, she was a bit snappy and sassy and she liked to joke around a lot. However, after her husband (my great-grandfather) died, she became a very unhappy person. It seemed like she was just waiting to die so that she could be back with her husband. It was a sad experience for me, hearing about how much happier she was, but seeing her in this part of her journey so downtrodden with grief.

Great Grandpa Elmer (restored photo)

From a social work perspective, my Great-Grandma taught me the impact of grief and loss and how great of an impact that can have on someone. Further, she taught me about the fierce independence of women, despite her coming from a time period where women were expected to be subservient. She came from a time period where women were expected to be submissive, but she was independent and had built herself up from nothing.

The next location that I want to discuss is Lilydale, New York. I had first gone to this location, roughly four years ago. My sister’s best friend, Alyssa, was killed in New York years ago. Alyssa’s Mother wanted to go to commemorate Alyssa and she invited my sister to go with her. My sister had asked me to go with her to support her, which of course I agreed to do.

(Photo of me on the porch of a home in Lilydale circa 2022, participating in a tarot reading with other folks in my group)

My husband on “the stump” in Lilydale’s cemetery

Arriving there, I found it to be interesting as Lilydale was the start of the Spiritualist movement in the United States. This location is rich with history of the paranormal, hauntings, mediums, psychics, etc.

I think it was the sense of connection with the dead that drew Alyssa’s family to go here. I joined them for this trip back in 2020 and had returned again in 2022. This time, I went with my husband and my sister. We participated in ghost hunting adventures, getting tarot readings done, and connecting with the sense of the unknown.

Lilydale’s small lake

The reason that this location stands out to me as it represents my connection with spirituality. I have what some may believe to be an eccentric or unusual belief system, which most may not understand. Yet in going to Lilydale, I was surrounded by individuals who shared similar beliefs to that which I hold, which is something that is important to me, in terms of feeling connected to others. Being in Lilydale helped me to feel understood and to be seen. In terms of applying this experience to social work, the biggest lesson that I can gleam from this is the importance of inclusion in any setting. Feeling seen and heard and feeling like you are understood is absolutely imperative in the fostering of any relationship. While this principle is important to me personally, I can use this experience to apply this same principle to social work practice and stress the importance of inclusion of all individuals.

The photo above was captured in April of 2021 in Yellowstone National Park. After having dreamed of visiting there for years, my husband (boyfriend at the time) and I had spent a few months of saving and planning and took a trip out there. This photo is one of the literal hundreds of photos I have of the various geothermal features in Yellowstone. This location is one that is so full of beauty, wildlife, and nature.

Great Smoky Mountains

This photo above captures the first night of our honeymoon. I had just gone outside to look for bears before taking the dogs out. I went inside and said to my husband and our friend Patrick (who went with us to take care of the dogs) “bear check is complete!”. Because I had just completed bear check, we decided to take the dogs outside.

My husband’s phone was nearly dead, but he managed to get ahold of the police and they said they would send an officer out there to assist us. So, there we were, waiting for either the police to rescue us, or the bears to attack us, whichever came first. Eventually the police came and loaded all of us into the back of the police car. Three adults, two huskies, everyone present and accounted for.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

7 responses to “Photo Story: A Visual Journey through Time, Space, and Place”

1. Sierra Casteel Avatar
    Sierra Casteel

wow, I love the way you did your blog! Tennessee is an awesome place and that is awesome that you want to touch base on your cultural heritage. I want to get back down to my heritage but can’t do it in Alaska, unfortunately. So, do what you can when you can. The two puppies are adorable. I have a husky of my own.

2. Carmen Jomel Rebuenog Avatar
    Carmen Jomel Rebuenog

Hi Ariel.
    Can I just add onto our dear classmate, Sierra, and say that your blog is very attractive. I liked how you were able to be original and creative with your colors, your photos, and the words of your story. I also really liked how detailed you were in all your text. For example, you were able to build up resilience in your early years in your home of Florida, and how you were able to connect to a deeper part of yourself through nature and wildlife. I live on a small island in the Pacific, which allows me to connect with the land and appreciate the nature it comes with. The one thing that stood out to me about your move to Florida was when you mentioned, “Perspective influences how we perceive and react to a situation”. That this was a time where it changed your life, as you grew up and studied social work.

The way you spoke about your great-grandmother, really touched me. As a person who has suffered with loss of close family members, it is hard when going through grief. The way you were able to identify the difference in your family is hard to head, but I like how you were able to connect it to your understanding and learning from a social work perspective.

I also really appreciate how you spoke about the importance in inclusion of individuals. Something so small as a “What do you think about it?”, when in conversation with a group of people, can really change a person’s perspective. I find myself always engaging with anyone I am around, making sure everyone feels included. Just because I do feel as if I am not included in a lot of things in my personal life, in regards to group talks or friends.

Your photos are so full of life! I loved reading and going through your blog post. You have to teach me how to edit my blogs like this! Great sharing!

3. Lane Hubbard Avatar
    Lane Hubbard

Hey Ariel, I wanted to start off by just saying thank you for sharing all of this with us. You did a wonderful job on your post, and I do not mean that simply by the amount of content or the organization, I mean it by the balance of everything you included. You journeyed through each place and the aspect of your life it represented, from family, to learning, to spirituality, to change, and to home. You connected with the environments and settings you explored and had the self-awareness to recognize how the land, experiences, and people at those locations led to furthering yourself as a person and furthering your understanding of life. It was a fantastic read and I truly look forward to reading more of your blogs in the future. Keep it up!

4. Adrianna Freeman Avatar
    Adrianna Freeman

I love how reflective you are. You have taken your experiences and have been able to find purpose and reasoning for it all. Being able to learn and grow from your experiences in order to help others is amazing.

I’m a sucker for sweet proposals! His idea of putting it on your dog’s collar is so sweet and creative. I’m sorry to hear of his passing.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

5. Gerald Barker Avatar
    Gerald Barker

Loooove the fur baby pics. Like you, My wife and i found the “Wedding Day” experience to be so hectic, there’s almost nothing we remember without having a picture reference to guide us. When asked about it, the first thing we say was, “Everything was so rushed – we were exhausted.” Great pics. Thanks for sharing your memories with us.!!

6. Jacquelyn King Avatar
    Jacquelyn King

Hi Mrs Oviatt,
    Thank you so much for sharing your incredible journey through different places and experiences. Your reflections on each location and the lessons learned along the way are truly inspiring.
    Some strengths I found are: Your ability to reflect deeply on each experience and extract meaningful lessons from them is commendable. You dive into your thoughts and emotions with honesty and vulnerability, allowing readers to connect with your journey on a profound level.
    Authenticity, your decision to include authentic photos from your life adds a layer of genuineness to your storytelling. It’s clear that each image holds significance and contributes to your narrative.Your resilience shines through in every story you share. Despite facing challenges and setbacks, you embrace each experience as an opportunity for growth and learning. Your determination to overcome obstacles is truly admirable.
    Some weaknesses may include: The structure while each segment of your writing is engaging and insightful, the overall structure could benefit from a clearer organization. Consider grouping similar experiences together or incorporating subheadings for a better flow.The transition at times between different locations and stories feels abrupt. Adding transitional phrases or paragraphs could help smooth the transitions and provide a narrative. Your analysis of your reflections are heartfelt and thoughtful, there’s room to dive even deeper into the social work implications of your experiences. Consider expanding on how these lessons can inform your practice as a social worker and contribute to your professional development.
    Overall you did a great job!
    Thank you, Mrs. King

7. Morgan Falukos Avatar
    Morgan Falukos

Hey Ariel, thanks for sharing your story with us. I also moved around a lot growing up, but each place also taught me different things and gave me different perspectives on things related to social work values!

Your social work perspective from your time in Florida is such a great one. It really is important to be able to acknowledge and appreciate the different experiences and perspectives that you gain from places, even if you did not fully enjoy it. A bad experience is still a teachable one.

Lilydale sounds really interesting, and I had not heard of it before reading about it in your post. It sounds like a really cool place to visit, in other circumstances of course, and I am interested in learning more about the history of it there.

I am so jealous that you were able to visit Yellowstone, as I have always wanted to visit as well, or any National park really. That proposal sounds so loving and cute! Especially involving your dog in it, but I am sure I would have reacted the same way, being stubborn, and questioning why the dog had to come. Also, your wedding dress was so beautiful!