Faculty-in-Residence | University of Alaska Anchorage | University of Alaska Anchorage

Two Worlds

Dr. M. Bise was featured as a guest on “The Critical Social” podcast with Professor Christian Settler. In episode 44, “Cross-continental Journey’s: Language Migration, Health, and social work” discuss topics centering around language, black perspectives in Alaska, migration and more. Christian starts the podcast off by describing MBise as a “well-versed traveler,” to which he uses towards helping others who have experienced health issues such as HIV/AIDS, and other language/problematic health challenges comparable to indigenous groups such as AI/AN’S. 

Swahili is the largest African language which is not owned by a single tribe. It is a combination of different words that are borrowed from different languages.

MBisi, who is from Tanzania, is familiar with indigenous ways of life, and the different systemic barriers migrants face globally. His background in health and immigration provides a unique approach on addressing the needs of Black Alaskans. MBisi expressed a brief moment of nostalgia as he reminisced about his familial ties rooted in Africa. After the host asked what it was like going back and forth from Alaska to Africa, he said something that was interesting to me. With a big smile on his face, he describes it as “occupying two worlds at the same time.” His physical and vocal demeanor reflected a sense of nostalgia while further sharing with us that his parents have since passed away. But, he still keeps in contact and visits Africa as much as possible. In a soft spoken tone, he states “Because everyone is there. My whole family is there. I am the only one in my family whose ventured beyond outside my country”. In addition to language preservation, he further reiterates the connection between land and culture. Arguably, similarities between Swahili and AI/AN (American Indian/ Alaska Native) closely mirror each other.

Image result for africa culture

Tribal Dancing is Common Among Different Cultures

Social Work: Dr. MBise’s inspiration to pursue a career in Social Work stems from his practice in working in high risk areas where  HIV/AIDS is prevalent. During this time, he meets Nathan Linsk, a premier scholar in areas of HIV/AIDS. Linsk helped Bise realize the “connection” of his work in this area, and how it falls under the social work umbrella. After which, he went to school and received a PHD in Social Work. Now, he uses lived experience in combination of higher education. He made a statement that really resonated with me. That being, we meet people throughout our career paths who have the potential of kind of “steering” us into different routes or areas of interest we might have otherwise overlooked. The same principle applies in scenarios involving unhealthy groups of people and making poor decisions that have the potential of altering our lives in drastic ways. Like most humans, I reflect on certain past experiences from time to time and think to myself “why did I choose to…” or “ I wonder what would’ve happened if”…. On the one hand, I wouldn’t change anything. But, on the other hand I’m like “if it weren’t for this decision, I wouldn’t be where I am at in my life or have a family of my own”. 

HIV/AIDS, MAT: The dialogue on the evolving opioid epidemic really peaked my interest. I am currently managing two different opioid grants, one is called “Community Opioid Intervention Program” funded by Indian Health Service, and the second called “New Hope” which is funded by SAMSAH. Each of these programs is intended to reduce opioid related deaths in the FNSB, increase availability to MAT (Medication Assisted Treatment), reduce stigma surrounding MAT, and more. With the help of my outreach staff, we promote local services to persons who are dealing with OUD. To help with the MAT component of these programs, I am partnered with IAA (Interior-Aids Association) who dispenses the MAT (suboxone, methadone, naltrexone). Like MBise, I am really big into harm reduction. Every month, I am to report to I H S and SAMSAH with a list of outreach activities my team was involved in. Commonly, I provide trainings on Naloxone as well as conduct communal events that center on OUD, Fentanyl, and suicide. Last year, I was tasked with putting together the Overdose Awareness Day walk with a mother who recently lost her son from an overdose.

Image result for international overdose awareness day

Outreach Event

Image result for interior aids association fairbanks

August 31st IOAD Walk

May be an image of 2 people and baby

My sis facetiming Maverick& his dad. These were taken two weeks after being admitted

May be an image of 2 people, people smiling and hospital

HIV/AIDS, MAT: The walk was a good turn out, and I very much look forward to this year’s walk! I am not trying to “gloat,” the reason I am talking about this is because 10 years ago, I was addicted to opioids myself. I was in and out of jail, not caring for myself, making risky decisions…etc. I’ve been able to overcome these challenges by pouring my energy and focus into school, my family, the gym. I would not be writing this if I didn’t make the decision to quit when I did, as right when I got on beuponorphine, we started to see Fentynal pretty much take over heroin in the borough. What’s even MORE cool is that my (now) husband and I were able to overcome this together. We’ve been together since 2012. I am proud to say that we both are in a good place, with two beautiful children. The reason why I’ve been more than “quiet” in this class is because in the beginning of the semester, I nearly lost my 11 month old son. It was traumatizig. Since being out of the PICU, and transitioning back home, he’s been okay. However, he still has residual symptoms that I thought would be gone by now. While he is “cleared” to return to daycare, he randomly starts to get sick again. Not only does the health of my baby distract me, so do other worries and concerns that make it very, very, hard to prioritize and focus lately. Oddly enough, I have been having “user dreams” again. These dreams are so realistic, that, I can actually feel everything that’s happening. Such as parts of my body being poked and sore,the feeling of intoxication, my surroundings. And then, I wake up and for a split second I think “what have I done? Where are my kids? Have they been taken away from me?”. But then I come too and get a sense of relief. Apparently, this response is common for people in long-term recovery who’ve experienced some significant life event. Whether it be bad or good. In my case, coming so close to losing a child was the life event that triggered this response. In the hospital, there were time’s in my mind where I was convinced and mentally started to “prepare” myself that I was going to lose him. As a mother, a parent, there is no worse feeling.

Final thoughts: I can go on and on with all of the notes I took while listening to this podcast. What it boils down to is we are all interconnected regardless of where we live. Dr.MBise reminded me of the importance of language preservation. Being that I have kids of the and am half (Koyukon) Athabascan, I feel a sense of responsibility to carry certain traditions and values down to  them. It’s just a matter of working through some of those cultural/historical trauma issues stemming from that side of the family. Last,(and I am sure I can speak for [some] of others in this class) I want to extend my appreciation for how much freedom we have in this class to share what we learned each given week. A lot (if not most) of the material we learn is relevant to each and every one of us. In the helping profession, we have an ethical obligation (per NASW code of ethics, #6 to be exact), to work through this material as far as educationally and personally. Applying solely on lived experience as social workers is simply not enough. As in the case with doctors, for example, we have a great responsibility when it comes to helping and saving lives’.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

4 responses to “Two Worlds”

1. Carmen Jomel Rebuenog Avatar
    Carmen Jomel Rebuenog

Hi Monique.
    I was also one of the other peers who chose to listen and reflect on Dr. Mbise’s podcast with Professor Stettler. I don’t know how this works, but it seems as if every blog that I chose had everything to do with who I am, or what I am currently struggling with. The one thing that stood out to me about the podcast, was the subject language. I don’t know if it is the universe speaking to me, but it really hit me when I heard and watched this podcast episode. I was able to find inspiration in the whole podcast, in terms of hard work and the importance of language. I believe you felt the same inspiration during the podcast. I truly believe that as long as we try our best in terms of language learning and preserving, we can pass it down to our children and our children’s children.

The next thing I wanted to support you on, was your ability to be vulnerable to tell your story of addiction. You talked about your history and your present life. I don’t have any kids, and I couldn’t imagine what your baby and family went through. But I believe in your strength and your spirit that whatever happens, everything will be okay.

Great sharing!

1. Monique Carter Avatar
      Monique Carter

Carmen, thank you for your kind words. It was truly inspiring observing someone who is so passionate about their career. I am glad you talked about language preservation. This podcast resonated with me because of the subject matter. So much so, that it prompted me to get outside of my comfort zone and participate in potlatch last week, and today I am volunteering towards the native baby pageant. Once thing I wish Dr.A talked about more is that of Cultural trauma, respectively. Cultural and historical trauma have long-lasting and permanent consequences as far as connecting to your culture. This is something that I briefly mentioned in my blog.

2. Alexa Adelmeyer Avatar
    Alexa Adelmeyer

Hi Monique,

First, thank you for sharing such intimate parts of your life story with us! I can’t imagine how difficult it has been for you and your family lately, having the real fear of losing a child is something nobody can comprehend until they’ve experienced it themselves. Take care of yourself. If you ever need someone to talk to, even though I’m a stranger, I’m here.

Like you, the statement regarding meeting people throughout one’s career who helped steer us into a path that may have been overlooked otherwise, also really hit home for me! I’ve had thoughts of regret for “wasting” my time at certain positions and that gave me the “ah-ha!” moment and realization that really all my experiences, work-related and personal experiences, are what brought me to social work.

Lastly, I struggled with drinking alcohol for some years, and once I finally quit, I had dreams of drinking. However, they stopped, and it wasn’t until my high-risk pregnancy that I started having dreams of drinking while pregnant. I would wake up in a panic thinking it was real! I remember being super stressed out about those kinds of dreams, I hope yours ease off and you can get restful sleep. Our brains do crazy tricks when we’re stressed.

Hugs,
    Alexa

3. Morgan Falukos Avatar
    Morgan Falukos

Hey Monique, thank you so much for taking the time to write this blog. I also watched this podcast and found it to be so interesting, especially because I am interested in being a “well-versed traveler” using my social work education to work with immigrants and refugees around the world. Dr. MBise had so much personal experience and wisdom to share with us in this podcast, and I also really enjoyed and was able to reflect on some of the same quotes you referred to in your blog. You never know who’s path you may cross while on your journey, but even a small encounter can steer you in an entirely new direction.

I also truly appreciate the freedom of expression that this class offers us, it really allows us to honestly and openly reflect and learn.