Standoff at Wounded Knee- 1973

I would like to start of with this paragraph, “For centuries, America and the New World have become ideas and synonyms that convey a sense of wonder and possibility made manifest by discovery, a historical act in which explorers are the protagonists. They are its actors and subjects. They think and name, conquer and settle, govern and own. They have formed the historic center of our national story and have done so at the expense of the first Americas – Native peoples – who have remained consistently excluded from the continent’s history. Either as hostile impediments or romanticized peoples awaiting discover, American Indians appear as passive subjects in a larger drama, understudies in the very dramas remaking their homelands.” (Blackhawk, Ned. Without Indigenous History, There Is No U.S. History 2023)

Photo above is the 1890’s Wounded Knee massacre.

This standoff began February 27, 1973. Led by Russell Means and Dennis Banks. Around 200 members of the American Indian Movement (AIM) went to Wounded Knee, site of the 1890 brutal massacre of around 150 Lakota Sioux were murdered. Although, many historians claim that there were more than twice that were murdered then what was recorded.

It turned out to be a 71 day standoff for their rights and they took over that small town. “They call for everything from control of reservation lands and mineral rights to restoration of ancient tribal customs and the power to specify curriculums in Indian grade school.” One other thing they called for was to oust Oglala Sioux tribal head Dick Wilson, because they believed him to be more in an alliance with the U.S. government then their own people, they said he was corrupt.

Picture above is the U.S. government claiming it was a battle and not genocide.

During this siege, AIM members and federal officers exchanged gunfire almost every single night. Nearly 300 FBI agents and U.S. Marshals were involved and armed with M-16 rifles and gas masks. During this standoff, two Native Americans were killed while one federal marshal ended up permanently paralyzed by a bullet wound.

After 71 days of gunfire upon each other, the Indigenous peoples and FBI negotiated a treaty. (U.S. government has a history of making treaties with the Native Americans and braking nearly all of them because of greed and hatred.)

Please watch this if you’d like, it’s in correlation with the standoff at Wounded Knee. Actor John Wayne had to be restrained by security guards during the Oscars because he was trying to attack Sacheen Littlefeather during her speech when Marlon Brando won an Oscar for the Godfather movie. Marlon Brando was an activist and stood up for minorities. Sacheen Littlefeather represented Marlon Brando that night with his permission.

This is a short clip of Clint Eastwood mocking Sacheen Littlefeather after her speech.

An apology from the Academy 50 years later to Sacheen Littlefeather.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

6 responses to “Standoff at Wounded Knee- 1973”

1. Lane Hubbard Avatar
    Lane Hubbard

Hi Victor, first off I want to say great job on your post! I have read about the Littlefeather speech in place of Marlon Brando’s at the award ceremony. When I first read and heard about it, it left me frustrated and disappointed with the actors that were so prominently shown in Westerns. I grew up watching John Wayne and Clint Eastwood flicks so seeing actors who I grew up who represented justice to me all of a sudden represent oppression and tyranny was horribly depressing. Reality can often disappoint, and when it does we have two options presented to us which is we either recognize the reality or we lie to ourselves. We can only move forward with improving our situation by recognizing the reality of our situation. Once again, I loved your post and the videos presented were both interesting and relevant. Have a great day and take care!

1. Victor Brantley Avatar
      Victor Brantley

Hi Lane, it is pretty depressing when we are fans of individuals and than we find out their true colors. There were some athletes that I was fans of, but not any more. Thanks for your response and have a great rest of your weekend.

2. Rodric Laxina Avatar
    Rodric Laxina

Hello Victor’s I like how powerful your reflection on the often overlooked history and ongoing struggles of Indigenous peoples in America. The sources and pictures you’ve shared highlights how Native Americans have been marginalized and excluded from mainstream narratives, despite being the original inhabitants of the land. The comparison of historical events like the Wounded Knee massacre with more recent standoffs and injustices serves as a stark reminder of the enduring challenges faced by Indigenous communities. Additionally, the inclusion of anecdotes about Marlon Brando’s activism and the Academy’s belated apology to Sacheen Littlefeather adds depth to the discussion, showcasing both the resistance and resilience of Indigenous voices throughout history. Overall, I like how your post provides valuable insight into a critical aspect of American history that demands greater attention and acknowledgment.

Victor Brantley

Hi Rodric, thank you for your response. Your overall response sounds so professional and very well educated and impressive. I don’t know what to say, but, Thank You.

3. David Shelton Avatar
    David Shelton

Wow. As a Black American who grew up in the ghettos of the Midwest and South, I know what it feels like to be excluded from America’s narrative. I empathize with Native Americans who have faced similar struggles throughout history. Reading about the actions taken by Russell Means, Dennis Banks, and the members of the American Indian Movement (AIM) during the standoff at Wounded Knee in 1973 has taught me a lot. It has sparked my interest in learning more about historical events that shed light on essential aspects of American history that are often overlooked.

I can see parallels between the demands made by AIM during the standoff, such as their call for control of reservation lands and the removal of Dick Wilson, and struggles for justice and equality in other communities. America often faces internal battles among its people. The actions of individuals like Marlon Brando at the Oscars highlight the importance of solidarity across racial and ethnic lines. This is a reminder that true equality often only gains attention when supported by voices from privileged groups despite the ongoing efforts of marginalized communities.

Victor Brantley

Hi David, thanks for responding. I think that America faces internal battles more than often. Just look how divided America is right now. Look at the Civil War for instance. But, what’s the root? The settlers wanted to break away from what they called slavery and taxation from their motherland, Great Britain. But, what did they do when they formed the nation of America after the genocide of many Native American tribes? They did the exact same thing as their motherland, they just gained more power because of the resources of the rich and pristine land that the Indigenous people lived on that they stole.