This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is fc3af8eb-3d91-4585-a112-acbdb748385a

Diversity, Family, the Helping Field

Ask yourself to answer the following as two separate concepts… “What is diversity”? Now, ask yourself…”What is a family?”. I will start. To me, when I think of the word “diversity”, or, to be “diverse”, I automatically think of people. Whoever is reading this now (and by the way, thanks for choosing MY blog out of all of the others), we are different from one another. Be it our political views, religious beliefs, or ethnicity we are different. You are different from your spouse, as they are different from you. When I think of family, I think of one unit. A family can be a family regardless of how many children you have, siblings, etc. In fact, some would consider a pet to be a part of the family. Consider a fish, guinea pig, cat or dog. Rarely, if ever, have I heard of family diversity being used synonymously.

To me, a family is....A group of people who are emotionally, mentally, and physically present for each other. They support each other, and have unbreakable everlasting bonds and relationships. Something else to consider,  BLOOD to me DOES NOT define family! Now, how does “diversity” have anything to do with family?

It all goes back to cultural bias, stereotyping, and prejudice. What I mean by this statement is being able to understand these terms in a way that is relative to parenting styles, whether individual or globally.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-12.png

Psychology and sociology reminds us of cultural bias being when a person of a different culture looks down on one’s cultural practices and traditions as wrong. A Haitian woman stays home and nurtures her child at home everyday, as opposed to Americans sending their child to be cared for by a daycare. We can also make this comparison in our own neighborhood. How and what kids learn in rural villages of Alaska, might differ in that people in the lower 48 assume it being irrelative.

A prime example of this scenario dates back to the Indian Removal Act, when Europian’ s imposed their belief systems and values in rural communities.   As social workers, our jobs are to help and serve people and communities far and wide. I know I am certainly guilty of not considering the person and/or their community when it comes time to help them. Just like them, a huge factor into what makes them who they are today is that of family; Their upbringing, and separation from the family unit in terms of gaining autonomy and applying, whether indirectly or directly, certain values and belief systems we were exposed to as children .“Just as individuals need supportive relationships to thrive, families need supportive institutional policies, structures, and programs in workplace, health care, and other larger systems” (p.412)

Family: Theoretical Perspectives 

A couple of weeks ago, we learned about culture. From a cultural perspective, there are so many different values and belief systems throughout the world that separate and divide us. The term cultural bias can also be distinguished with prejudice, privilege, and stereotyping. Given the opportunity to reflect, if you were to ask me to define what these words mean (prejudice and stereotype), it would be easier to just give you examples of how these words are conveyed on a day-to-day basis. How sad is that? As social workers, it is important to be able to define such concepts. Yes. But as a successful social worker, or helper, it is even more important we can understand the emotions behind them… Why? In order to provide effective service that promotes long-lasting change (healing) we must have the ability to meet them on their level. Empathy, sympathy, compassion, love. In this profession, most of us have always had that “yearning”, to fix things and make it right. Even at the expense of our own wants and needs. Think about it. You, right at this very moment, are taking time away from your family to focus on this assignment. Maybe, you had to pass on tonight’s invitation to go out on a date, or skip out on a hobby so that you can finish this assignment (I haven’t gone to the gym in 8 days). Maybe you even moved to a completely different state to go to college to be able to enhance your skill set in human services. That is what I mean.

My Acceptance and Love For People

Diversity in Family Life: One question that must be asked about each of the theoretical perspectives on families is how well it applies to different types of families. As suggested earlier, diversity has always existed in the structures and functions of society. It is also true in the family unit (p331).Within the last 10 years, Americans experienced a huge influx of migrants. Whether they are seeking asylum, or have come here to live the “American Dream, it is crucial that us as Americans on a collective level not only examine, but also, explore the scope of this issue. The relevance as it relates to the topic at hand, is one that we as future social workers must have an understanding of in order to be successful in our efforts when it comes to helping on the macro, mezzo, or micro level. Moreover, to be mindful of societal factors affecting family diversity in the U.S. The point I am trying to make is the necessity of embracing inclusivity and equal rights for all families. Social justice.

Understanding Family Diversity The concept of family diversity includes a wide variety of family configurations that depart from the conventional paradigm. Various reasons, including cultural norms, religious beliefs, economic circumstances, and individual preferences, can cause these variations. Extended families, consisting of numerous generations living together or in close vicinity, are considered the norm in many different cultures. This type of living arrangement between people of different generations offers support, direction, and a strong feeling of community. The concept of non-traditional family structures is gaining increased attention and acceptability in today’s society (Kosutic & McDowell, 2018). One example is the rise in the number of homes with only one parent, which can be attributed to events like divorce, separation, or even a person’s decision. SIngle parents frequently take on various tasks and obligations, which require them to juggle employment, caring for their children, and chores around the house. These families confront particular obstacles as a result.  In recent years, same-sex couples have also earned increased legal recognition and acceptability. These families subvert the conventional expectations placed on men and women and show that love and commitment are not restricted to either gender. Couples of the same sexual orientation can choose to have children through adoption, surrogacy, or assisted reproductive technologies, which contributes to the variety of family arrangements (Allen & Henderson, 2022). Families that include members who are disabled or have other special requirements are another example of the diversity that can be found within families. These families frequently require additional support structures, resources, and advocacy to guarantee the health and safety of every family member and ensure that everyone is included. It is essential for the advancement of social justice to comprehend and accommodate these families’ specific requirements.Going back to the definition of diversity, I know all to well the feelings associated with being “different”, standing out for the wrong reasons, and all of the hurt associated with being an outcast. When I lived in New York after coming straight from the village, I stuck out like a sore thumb. It is a given that kids would bully me. But, probably most disturbing is teachers did too. As teachers in the helping field, you would think they’d do otherwise. That is one more reason why we as social workers must take ALL things into account when it comes to this subject matter. Thank you again for taking the time to read this. Next time you are challenged, or encounter a family that includes some of the listed diversities, just think to yourself “how am I going to help them within the realm of my capabilities, that does not comprise of being stereotypical?” If it goes against your personal beliefs, value systems, or anything like that then ask yourself again, “is this what I really want to do? Help people?” Think outside the box.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

7 responses to “Diversity, Family, the Helping Field”

1. Lane Hubbard Avatar
    Lane Hubbard

Hi Monique!
    I just want to say first off that this is a spectacular post. You utilized visuals, photos, and the theories and material from our course to connect both your experiences and the social work perspective into an analysis of the convergence where family and diversity meet. While there is an abundance to go over in your well thought and detailed post, I wanted to focus specifically on the part where you highlight the need to understand the emotions behind the prejudice and stereotype. I appreciated the way you highlighted it as the only way to treat a wound or solve a problem is to first understand the cause of it, where the root of it goes to. A lot of this resonated with me and led to a lot of thinking in regards to my own family, both immediate, extended, and found family and how diversity plays into it. Wonderful job on your post and I look forward to the next one. Take care!

2. Sierra Casteel Avatar
    Sierra Casteel

Wow, your blog is super colorful and it made it super easy to follow. I love that you included personal experiences with your blog. It made it easier to understand the material. The analogy was powerful. I work with the hospital and I started thinking about how the doctors have to figure what the problem is so that they can treat the issue.

3. Erin Espinosa Avatar
    Erin Espinosa

Wow does this topic hit personally. I come from a blended family. My dad was a foster child because he was Cherokee and his mother was unable to keep him, I was married for 7 years and had two children and that ended in divorce. I remarried into a Hispanic blended family and had two more children. I have one brother who I am not close with but he always talks about the fact we are blood and that means everything. I love him but I disagree that blood relations mean everything. I have a mother and father-in-law who have welcomed my older children and myself with no boundaries. Families tend to put up with a lot because they are “blood” but that doesn’t mean disrespect is ok. I have two sets of children. Two from one relationship, two from another, and two that are half-blooded to the other two. If you come into my home you would never know. We are a family unit. We have learned to respect each other and each personality. My husband’s family is different than the way I was raised. We have compromises in how we choose to raise our kids and the OUR in our kids means all four. Together. We have a high school, middle school, elementary school, and preschool so everyone is dealt with on an individual level. After a recent move, we are trying a homesteading lifestyle which has been exciting so far. Sustainability is not something my husband or I have ever done but we agree it is a desire of ours to help teach the kids sustainability skills, how to leave a small footprint while still aspiring to be educated and give back to our community. I also think that it is important to include friends that become family. Those are some of the most important people in life. Your community/support system will help shape who you become. I like that you put the diagram of celebrating diversity within families because I think that everyone has their personalities and discoveries within themselves and we find out more about our cultural backgrounds daily.

4. Kaia Quinto Avatar
    Kaia Quinto

Hi Monique, Thank you for this blog. I loved every part of it.
    And as someone who has wanted to help people since a very young age, and now am working my DREAM job with individuals experiencing homelessness, I appreciate your story from when you first learned you wanted to help people. It brought tears to my eyes. I think that little things, and gestures like that mean the world to people with little to nothing.
    I have a similar story from when I first learned I wanted to work with the unhoused population. I can tell you from experience that your gesture meant the world to him. I see people in my community that do absolutely nothing to help individuals like this, and I can tell you that people like you are rare.
    It reminds me of something that I really like to preach, and its that if you see someone, who is clearly experiencing homelessness, and maybe they look nothing like you, maybe they are sitting and drinking, maybe you see them acting irratically. No matter what they are doing, unless they are being a danger to themselves or you – just leave them be! (Or help them like you – but for some that is too much to ask. I am grateful for people like you) Often times we think that calling the police, or taking pictures to post on facebook is what we should do. But the biggest thing we can do for them, is to just leave them alone. And do nothing to escalate a situation that does not need it.

Anyways, I just really loved your personal story and it got me rambling. Thank you for sharing, and I am really glad the world has people like you in it 🙂

Kaia

5. Olanda Thompson Avatar
    Olanda Thompson

Hello Monique ,

Really enjoyed your blog and can honestly say I learned a thing or two! I really liked your story/experience with the homeless gentleman with no shoes. It sounds like you were destined to help others! Great blog!

6. Alexa Adelmeyer Avatar
    Alexa Adelmeyer

Monique,

Wow! You did such a wonderful job on your blog. Your personal story filled my eyes with tears; there unfortunately are not many people who would risk their lives for a homeless man to have shoes. Let alone an 11-year-old who just received them as a gift. You’ll be an excellent social worker! This leads me to my next comment – after reading this week’s chapter and watching the videos, it’s clear that families, our upbringing, and parents, make a huge impact on us. So much of an impact that it can heavily influence the way we think and our self-talk, also, the careers or education we decide to pursue. Do you think that your upbringing helped pave the way to your choice of social work and clear passion for helping others?

I appreciate that you addressed diversity as an important term for us to understand as it relates to families! You’re right, as social workers, it’s imperative that we utilize creative thinking and constantly reflect inwards to address any bias we may have when working with people. As someone who comes from a very complex family, I used to be ashamed as a child because of the stigma of split families being “dysfunctional”. It’s so important to use the strengths approach when addressing family conflicts and while working with family structures that aren’t “typical” for social workers.

Again, excellent work! I learned a lot.

7. Danelle Avatar
    Danelle

Hi Monique! I really enjoyed reading your educational blog! Thanks for sharing your insights on these topics. I enjoyed how you used questions throughout your blog to encourage reflection. This approach helped me as a reader and allowed me to pause and think deeply about my perspectives on diversity and family. Your story about giving your slippers was very heartwarming and reminds us that our youth really are the change we need! It was also a painful reminder that family isn’t always blood. To me, family refers to those who share the same love and respect for one another. Again, great post!