Parasite

The main theme of Parasite is about class conflict, social inequality and wealth disparity between the rich and poor. The film was taken in South Korea. The Kims are the poor family and the Parks are the rich family.

In this film, the Kim’s needed to survive and decided, as a family and imposter’s to live like they were rich. It started when the son, Ki-Woo pretending to be a tutor for Kim’s daughter Ki-Jung and son, a potential artist. Next, came Kim, Chung-Sook (father), Kim Ki-Taek ( mother) and Kim, Ki-Jung (daughter). All the Kim’s were employed by the Park’s in various positions and lived in the basement without the Park’s knowing about it. The film ended in a tragic murder of the Parks.

In world that we live in influenced by Western culture that the rich are more superior than the working and poor class , we must take a step back and think how to live in a society that is fair and just for all. How can Social Workers change the perspective and mindset of the privileged that we are all the same, regardless of social class, education, economic status etc.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

4 responses to “Parasite”

1. Rodric Laxina Avatar
    Rodric Laxina

Hello Ana, As someone who has seen “Parasite,” when I was 19 or 20 I can certainly relate to the themes of class conflict and social inequality portrayed in the film. It’s an exploration of how economic disparities can impact individuals and families, it shows the lengths people may go to in order to survive and thrive in an unequal society.

Reflecting on the movie, I’m reminded of the importance of addressing these issues in our own communities. As a viewer, I was intrigued how they can contribute to their lifestyle. One aspect of the film that particularly intrigued me was how the Kims ingeniously manipulated their way into the Park family’s lifestyle. It shed light on the resourcefulness and resilience often exhibited by those facing economic hardship.

2. Paradise Porter Avatar
    Paradise Porter

The class conflict and social inequality in Parasite is really accurate to the real deal in South Korea. I think the goal of changing society to make it more equal would be amazing, however, realistically that is not going to happen. The goal of social workers is to work in a society where it is more than likely not equal and help those underserved be connected with resources. Changing a society to better fit it’s entire population is more institutional and cultural, as depicted in this film, rather than the job of day-to-day social workers.

3. Sierra Casteel Avatar
    Sierra Casteel

Wow, just goes to show that you never what goes on in other countries. Changing society can be good or bad. Sometimes society is changes for the good of the people but it might not be good for the individual. Wouldn’t it be better if you lived lower than your pay to have money than to live rich and not have money?

4. Ariel Oviatt Avatar
    Ariel Oviatt

Ana,

The disparity depicted in this film is difficult, and is made more difficult by the fact that people are suffering and being treated as though their income is their worth every day.

I appreciate that you chose a direct approach in your blog. What would you suggest is done to address the perspective of those with privilege?