Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

6 responses to “The spiritual dimension”

1. Jere Sipary Avatar
    Jere Sipary

What an absolutely amazing blog! You touched base on spirituality for clients on a spectacular level, and even for folks who sometimes have a hard time understanding some “supernatural” things (AKA: me), you made it very easy to grasp unto.
    I think getting to know the client’s personal beliefs would most definitely offer some other ways to help them, such as if they believe in guardian angels or praying for safety from their ancestors, we can help them find other knowledge about their culture or beliefs to help them even further.
    I also find it interesting that there has been a rise of spirituality among society, and seeing an even less belief about organized spiritual places. I once read that it is because of the “harmful ideology” that is spread, and some of these beliefs made people become violent towards each other, which is heartbreaking to hear. Maybe others do not want to take part in such activities or beliefs?
    Anyways, I loved your blog!

2. Alexa Adelmeyer Avatar
    Alexa Adelmeyer

Hi Erin,

I thought this week’s chapter on spirituality was super interesting. You did a great job going into depth on the topic! Honestly, if you had asked me last week what spirituality was, I would’ve answered, “believing in a higher power, practicing mediation or prayer, and/or believing in mystical things.” As a future social worker, I think it’s important to understand what our clients believe or practice spirituality (ethically, not prying, etc), as this can be an effective coping tool for many people. I could see it being easy to shy away from those topics, but again, there are many benefits and can promote help healing.

In some ways, I think that most people go on a spiritual journey at some point; asking themselves the question, what is my purpose or who am I? This is probably why self-help books have become incredibly popular. From my personal experience, I started asking those types of questions in my late teens – and early twenties after a time of constant turmoil. I never would’ve labeled that as a spiritual journey; however, I now understand the importance of being able to decipher the two as a future social worker. Lastly, I think self-reflection will be super important when addressing the topic of religion with clients to ensure that as social workers we can work from a non-biased viewpoint.

3. Ana Ada Avatar
    Ana Ada

agree with your blog. I am a spiritual person but not religious. Religion for me is just a practice to honor something. Some people connect to church thinking it’s about God and other saints missing the idea of spirituality.

4. Adrianna Freeman Avatar
    Adrianna Freeman

It’s interesting because I’ve been saying since about 14 that I was spiritual but not religious. Without fully knowing what it means. My reasonings at first was that I didn’t always believe everything I read in the Bible. I knew that I couldn’t identify, relate, or put my heart into a specific religion. I have always known/felt that my ancestors are with me, that we are all connected. However, this hasn’t stop me from researching and finding understanding of different religions beliefs.

The video you posted was so informative. I wouldn’t have been able to explain spirituality from a social work perspective. It’s important to highlight and integrate a client’s spiritual/cultural beliefs into the plan of care and goals they want to reach. It’s just as important for us to know what spirituality means to us as individuals and be open to learning from our community, colleagues, and clients.

5. Lillian Carstens Avatar
    Lillian Carstens

Hey Erin I thought this was a really interesting post. I liked the video you attached and some of the tips and discussions that were part of the readings and videos this week were really similar to what she had to say. Like looking at yourself and what you need to be aware of before helping or encountering someone else with spiritual or religious questions or needs. I also really like the diagram that you provided showing how spirituality and religion have similar qualities but it doesn’t mean they are the same. When you mentioned how many people are going away from the church and trying to find their own way and figuring out their own beliefs was interesting. I think this is true but it makes me wonder about what people consider to be right and wrong. Different beliefs say different things are right and wrong but if so many people believe different versions of right and wrong, do we really know who is right? It just makes me wonder how it might be in social work and how people may respond because of their spirituality.

6. Vanessa Kosack Avatar
    Vanessa Kosack

I often had mistaken spirituality for religion. It was not until later on that I found out that it really had nothing to do with religion and was more about what I believed about myself that would drive me to find my place in the world. It was not material or physical it was something that was in me. Much stronger than faith I feel. However everyone has their own definition. This was just mine and how I view it currently. Easier said as how i connect with the world around me.